Thursday, May 9, 2013

Making Progress

This has been quite the project! Trying to make our garden look nice and be successful keeps me in constant motion.  A lot of sweat and achy muscles, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it!  The soil was so rocky and had been untouched for years, so that was difficult to work with.  But getting everything put together, figuring out how I wanted everything to look, laying it out, buying the seeds and plants, planting everything.  It's been kind of consuming actually.  But now that everything is put together I can relax a little, water, and watch things grow (crossing my fingers). 
Found these stepping stones out by our kennel run and knew they'd be much more useful here :)
They're growing!! Our green beans were first to pop up :). Naturally.
Now all we need to do is find the right kind of bark (or some kind of covering) to lay on top of our black top. Woohoo for gardening! You know what's kind of ironic though... I hated this kind of stuff as a kid.  Growing up our garden was ginormous! And all through the summer we were constantly outside maintaining it all.  But now I see why we did it.  And I hope I can make this fun for the kids.  (And having the planter boxes helps! Less space for weeds to grow!)  They are much better sports than I was.  Every morning they are out there looking for signs of growth and progression.  I love it.  

3 comments:

TyLeen said...

It all looks great. We really need to get ours planted. The kids loved watching everything grow last years so I am sure they will be the same this year. I just don't like it when things grow and it looks messy. I know, kind of weird...but that zucchini makes everything look like a hot mess! :)

Arlene said...

Looks great!

Allen Family said...

Your garden is looking great! Good work making it fun for your kids.