Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Recitals, Crafts, Cookies, Activity Days, Friends and Family

So this year Cami chose to take band and decided to learn the clarinet.  Both Jeremy and I enjoy listening to her practice and play.  It's funny as I think back on it, because the very first day she brought home her instrument we couldn't blow one single peep out of it!  And now, she is reading music, playing precisely, and making up her own songs.  I LOVE to see the progress.  Their band put on a winter concert with the 7th and 8th graders also.  Her very first recital... 
She was so nervous, yet was spectacular :)
She and Alex also are in a Community choir and had been practicing for weeks!  The program is short but it totally melts my heart.  I love music, especially when children sing.  But I think my favorite part about it this time was that Alex and another girl a solo/duet parts in one of the songs.  I was so proud of him, because on their very last part he had to harmonize with the girl and he hit it spot on!  He really does have such a lovely voice.  So many parents complimented him on his part and were impressed.  I even catch him now trying to follow along with the alto part in our sacrament songs and church.  It makes my heart smile.  Reminded me of when I used to do the same thing with her at church.  Follow her lead and her notes.  I have to share a story though.  A couple years back I was asked if I would sing in Sacrament mtg one time.  I said yes, but asked Cami and Alex if they would join me.  We sang 'A Child's Prayer'.  I remember Alex getting a case of the hiccups because he was getting so nervous to sing in front of everyone, haha.  I eased him and reminded him we were singing together.  The piece turned out lovely.  But I hope Alex will always sing.  All of my children even.  It is a gift he has and I hope he will cultivate it.
For some gifts this year I did some homemade crafts. 
This one was for my dad.  He is an AVID skier!  No joke.  There was one year he made a goal to go water skiing every single month.  And he did!!  Those winter months required a dry suit, but he did it!  So, when I saw this quote, I had to make him a shirt from it.
'To Ski or Not to Ski.... What a Stupid Question' ;)
And I made this Nebraska string art project for a couple of my brothers and their families, because they are loyal Nebraska Cornhusker fans!  No matter their seasonal outcome :)  Plus they attended the University for a time.  Jacob and Zack
This Christmas we also made goodies to hand out with homemade Christmas cards.  Cami invited a friend over to make the cards and cookies.  They did such a good job!  So creative :)
And then a bittersweet day... Cami's last activity days.  Of course she requested to do homemade gingerbread houses, so we made it happen.  She will be 12 in just a couple of weeks and then out of Primary and off to Young Womens!!
Audrey was all about the candy, of course ;)
This Christmas we got to take care of someone else's present... a leopard gecko!  The kids loved feeding it and watching it scarf the crickets and meal worms.  I'm kicking myself for not getting a better shot, because Steve was in town too!!  He always comes around Christmas time to bring presents and hang with the family.  The kids look forward to it every year :)
Once school was out and the kids were officially on winter break, we played to our little hearts content.
Puzzles
Bike riding
Chores.  (Oh they love it and they know it ;)
Christmas here we come!

No comments: