Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memory

On my side of the family, every year on Memorial Day we go visit my Uncle Chick's grave. He was my mother's brother, he served in the Vietnam war and died in action. There is always an overwhelming sense of respect and reverance that overcomes me when I think about those who have served and fought for our country. My mother has very fond memories of her brother and his particular kindness towards his little sister. I am so grateful for him. For his memory, his legacy, and his love for family and country. (For some reason I couldn't get this pic to flip)


When we went to visit Chick, I was touched by the sweet acts of my children. Cami wanted to come in a dress to show her respect. Alex knelt down by the grave, kissed his hand, and gentley touched the grave with his fingers. And Carson, well he kept squishing the little bugs that were crawling all over the gravestone. :) But those sweet guestures made my heart and eyes overflow. We said a prayer of thanks and love and then went to go find his flag. I never want this tradition to fade, because then we will never forget Charles Dee Green, and we will more fully remember those who have honorably served our country.

5 comments:

The Medrano's said...

How sweet to see your little ones get in the spirit of Memorial Day! So glad you guys had a good holiday!!

Shaina said...

That is so special, Carina! I'm glad that your kids have such a great example of patriotism, and that they are so respectful to his memory. That's what the day is all about. Thanks for sharing your family's tradition. It warmed my heart!

Trujillo family said...

How precious of your little kiddos! And what a great tradition!

Lisa said...

So sweet and tender. I did stop and think of my grandpa on memorial day. What a blessing we have because of these brave people. Your post warmed my heart as well when I saw the pic of the kids at the headstone.

Trishelle said...

Carina, what a beautiful tribute!

Words fail to express my gratitude and sympathy to your mom and your family because while the war was decades ago, his sacrifice will never be forgotten especially by your sweet family.

Even with my brother's two recent tours in the Middle East and recognizing the possibility of him not coming home, I can not imagine what that would be like.

My heart is touch by the pictures of your children. You are such a good Mommy to teach them what they true meaning of Memorial Day is. You really are extraordinary!